Monday 22 July 2013

Cheshire Rocks

Just over 2 years ago I moved to Cheshire and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Since being a little girl I had always yearned to live in the countryside as I need space and green to keep me sane. It is like total therapy for me and now I know what homesick feels like when I've been away from home too long.

Cheshire is such a gorgeous place and one of the many things I love about it is the local produce. Although I don't live in a rustic cottage overlooking farmland (not yet!) there are a few farms nearby that have wonderful shops attached to them. The farmers I have met so far have all been women which is awesome and I have such much respect for the hard graft they put in to feed our hungry bellies. Also there are so many local businesses producing wonderful meats, fish, veg as well as sauces, jams, chutneys....I won't go on but it really thrills me to be living somewhere where there is a passion and respect for food.
Loving Country Living
I love nothing more than a good old rustic country pub and there's so much to choose from in Cheshire; they seem to be on every corner. I was recommended one called the Black Swan in Lower Withington which I visited recently as I was told both the decor and the food were to die for. I wasn't disappointed. I wanted to move in to be honest! It is one of the most beautiful pubs I've been in. Apparently the owner designed it and every little detail is just wonderful. I took some photos but they don't do it justice and I encourage you to look on the website if you're a country homes kinda person. Kooky, bright patchwork fabrics on the chairs and lamps, quirky wallpaper, gorgeous wood and open fires gave the place such a vibrant, welcoming and cosy feel. I wanted to curl up with a magazine and a glass of wine and just relax there all day. My whippet decided to do just that!
Teddy my whippet loving the fine fabrics
So onto the food. It took me ages to decide from the plethora of potential offerings. From wood fired pizza, to good old beer battered fish and chips; my brain was in turmoil as to what to choose. I pondered over Cheshire sausages with sage and spring onion crushed potatoes with sweet cured bacon and caramelised onions (next time I think) and tantalised my taste buds with the thought of marinated beets salad with crispy goats cheese, caramelised red onion, pine nuts and honey.
Gorgeous spicy lamb flatbread

A closer look at this badboy!
I settled for the flatbread with spiced shoulder of ham,harissa, sticky red onion, charred red pepper, feta and tzatziki. It was incredible. The lamb was so sweet, melt in the mouth and all of the flavours married together so well, The flat bread was lovely and warm with a beautiful texture. Mr V opted for the Cumbrian steak which of course I had to try and it was delicious.

Cumbrian steak
I really wanted to try the mars bar cheesecake for sheer decadence but I was too full to be honest but I shall try my best next time. We sat outside afterwards in the sun and the outdoor area has plenty of tables and a huge sandpit for the kids as well as a covered area with lovely bunting. I honestly can't wait to go back there and it will be as equally as fabulous in the winter with roaring fires and candle light. If you're near the area, I insist you go. If you do, let me know! I'll leave you with some pictures of the decor if it floats your boat.
Vivi.x
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment