Sunday 21 October 2012

My Guilty Secret

I won't bore you with the whys and wherefores but quite honestly at the moment I am utterly shattered and have zero energy;  to the point of wallowing in self pity. It's not cool I know and not my usual style but it's had an effect on my weekend cooking. I got around this a couple of weeks ago by cooking in bulk and freezing various meals. Then they ran out.

Just how I feel!
Spending all of Saturday feeling like a zombie and good for nothing I decided I couldn't face the kitchen. Eating out was dismissed since all I wanted to do was curl up on the settee and watch films, a takeaway would have added to the grottiness I already felt and I just craved nice home-cooked comfort food.
No chance of the above happening
So I have something to confess. Deep breath...I bought a ready meal.  This is something I never thought I'd do since I've always thought eating a limp meal from a plastic carton is a dire way to nourish oneself. However this little saviour was a freshly hand made chicken and mushroom lasagne by a company in Kent called Cook. You can buy online but mine was from the Hollies farm shop, Little Budworth, Cheshire. All of their ingredients are fresh so I was happy that I wouldn't be missing out of any energy boosting vits and mins. It even tells you who made it. Lee Plles made mine. I loved the Lord Byron quote on the packaging "Since Eve ate the apple, much depends on dinner."

I just popped it in the oven for an hour and relaxed with a full bodied glass of red whilst watching Strictly (Jerry Hall - hath remained high glamour at all times over the years and never lets us down on that front. I'm sure she's sans surgery too - LOVE HER).

My Saviour
I took it out of the oven to rest for a couple of minutes while I threw a salad together in a bowl. I was mightily impressed - this lasagne was utterly delicious and the texture was a sheer delight.The combo of a crunchy crumble of breadcrumbs and cheese while the oozy white sauce and soft pasta melted in the mouth. Winner. So a top notch nourishing meal with that homecooked result. A bit on the pricey side for your usual ready meal at £6.99 but I'd rather pay a bit more for something that is delicious and good for me rather than a chemical cocktail. Plus its cheaper than a meal out or a takeaway. Of course I shall return to the Vivi kitchen pronto but should I need to have a night off from the stove, I shall purchase again in an emergency. Thank you Lee Plles for making my Saturday night a real treat.
Get on the crumbly cheesy goodness
Sigh. Wish I could eat this again

What's your emergency meal?
Vivi.x

No comments:

Post a Comment