Sunday 4 November 2012

Getting Real

As much as this blog is about tasty food, nutrition and health may pop up occasionally since it’s of my favourite subjects as well as all things vintage, music, spirituality, hairstyling, Vivienne Westwood clothes and home interiors. Yup a real mixed bag!

 I've slowly put on a fair bit of extra bulk over the last couple of years.  These days I travel a lot and work quite long days and finding that the “odd treat” makes up for the days mayhem. However my treat to exercise ratio has been somewhat imbalanced. I accept this isn't sustainable should I want to work it like Dita Von Teese. Yes I fully embrace my curves but when the curves begin to form into a round shape then alarm bells ring.

As a spiritual bird who has read a heck of a lot of self development books, being less than my best is unacceptable. Living at a higher energy means raising the bar in all areas of life. I deserve the best. Aqua aerobics? Pah! I'm all about serious training and if it’s not at least an hour and I'm not drowning in my own sweat then I’ll not bother. And that’s the problem. I haven’t bothered. 
Boxercise is one of my faves
Because my current lifestyle doesn't allow the same room for the same amount and frequency of exercise compared to the past, I've been hard on myself for coming up with excuses  - no time, too tired etc. Waiting for “things to settle down” so that I have a chunk of time to really devote to hard physical activity graft just isn't going to happen like a couple of years ago when that was more achievable.

But beating myself up also beat up my confidence so it was time for a mental shift. I was so caught up in who I used to be and what I used to do and applying old methods to a new situation.  What worked then doesn't work now for a whole host of reasons.

I considered whether might have to lower my standards to make progress. It really made sense but it was tough to come to terms with. Like I said I'm all about the heroics and the big stuff. I want to play big in my life so “rubbish” things like taking the stairs instead of the lift was for people who hadn't exercised in 20 years, I wanted to train like an athlete! For Vivi to gain victory with health goals it was time to get real.

So here’s the plan. Of course treats have to be kept to a minimum. But exercise will have to follow when it can. Not an unrealistic rigid structure of 5 x per week wedged into an erratic and chaotic week. And guess what? After one week of applying this mindset I've managed to achieve more exercise than before. I've been to a spinning class and plan another tomorrow but apart from that I've squeezed in a couple of brisk walks, jogged up and down the stairs in a hotel I was staying in, and more importantly, making peace with my situation instead of fighting against it. It might not be enough to fit back into my Mad Men Joan style dress just yet, but for now it’s good for my mind and my overall health and better than nothing.

Busting a few moves while waiting for the kettle to boil ain't an intense workout but it's better than nothing!


Ditch the role models - be your own! But copy their style!
It’s easy to look at others for inspiration and try to live their life.  But sometimes we lose our own inner wisdom in doing that. No-one knows you like you do. You know the difference of when you’re being lazy or genuinely stuck for time.

So the message really is to make peace with your situation as fighting against it can keep you at stalemate. This doesn't mean to stop trying to be your best. It’s just choosing your battles wisely. Follow your own mission and do what works for you.

Love Vivi.x

No comments:

Post a Comment