Wednesday 8 August 2012

Loving Leftovers


In true vintage living style I’m very much into using up every scrap in the kitchen and leaving nothing to waste. If something is really dire it ends up in the compost bin but I prefer it going into a pan to make a delicious meal. This lunch is so healthy and features the leftover beans from my Italian casserole.

It MUST go in the pan, please no -  not the bin!
Honestly it took less than 10 minutes to make and is super healthy. I’ve served it with cous cous which I just adore as it’s like a healthy pot noodle in that all it needs is hot water and time to stand. I tend to do that first while I get on with other tasks and it’s ready by the time the other part of the meal is done. Plus it can be served hot or cold. I always ensure there is a stock of this versatile grain in the Vivi pantry at all times. Sometimes I make double and keep the rest in the fridge for another meal. 

I'm sure cous cous would taste even better if I had this kettle!
Word of warning though - with cous cous it's like a cliched love affair of opposites attract. It's bland on it's own but team it up with a saucy topping then it's a match made in heaven on a really hot date. Pair up the bland grain with a dry protein sauce well we've all been there - BORING! You don't want your bad dates transferring onto the dinner table. Boring has never been and never will be acceptable in Vivi's world and ensure you adopt the same approach. If you that happens stir in some nice spices with the cous cous before you pour in the water and that'll do the trick. A bit of chilli powder or paprika are always welcome in my world.

For the beans I chucked them in a pan with a small bit of chopped onion and olive oil, a few spices: cumin, coriander and garam masala, 1 clove chopped garlic and stirred on a medium to high heat for a couple of minutes until the onions were a bit softer then added a dash of milk, a big dollop of natural yoghurt and a good squirt of tomato puree. The result was a kind of bean curry and let me tell you it was delicious. I chopped a bit of coriander and sprinkled it over the top. This one is a winner for leftover veg and is a great alternative as a lunch if you’re a bit bored of sandwiches. What are your speedy lunches or leftover ideas? Spread the joy and let me know.



Vivi.x

No comments:

Post a Comment